Thursday, January 12, 2017

Homemade Play Dough

Idaho was hit with a crazy snowstorm these last few weeks. We haven't seen this much snow since the mid 80's. So in all my life - I have never seen this much snow. Our valley isn't equipped to handle it, so we have spent most of the last 8 days cooped up. And until I get my 4WD momma car for McCall... it will probably stay that way. ;) 

I have had to pull out all the stops to keep Kess (and I) from going crazy. Aaaand, I'll be completely honest... I went crazy. Kess is chill. 

Today I decided to make some homemade play dough for her. After my parent's and brother brought over a few grocery essentials like milk & flour. And tortilla chips to go with the taco dip I've been craving. ;) 

We have a few mini-tubs of play dough already, but I thought she would love to help make it (heads up, not easy with a toddler!) It's softer than store bought & it made me feel like super mom. So there's that. 


This was a total hit with Kess. She loves play dough, but this was easier for her to play with. She hasn't reached the point where she liked to "make" things with the play dough, so the softer the better. 

We have some tiny cookie cutters from Amazon that I use to cut Kess' food into little shapes (when I have the motivation.) Kess loves to use them with play dough, too! They wash up super easy in the dishwasher. Bonus!


Pinterest houses a million different play dough recipes. I went with the most basic. Adding glitter or essential oils didn't seem worth the hassle today. Maybe another time! Cuz I do love me some essential oils & glitter! ;) 

Basic Play Dough Recipe

2 Cups of Flour
1/2 Cup of Salt
2T Kitchen Oil (Veggie, Coconut, etc. I used Canola)
2T Cream of Tartar (in the spice aisle)
1 1/2 Cups of Boiling Water
Food Coloring *optional

Combine all dry ingredients. Add Oil & then add boiling water. This, of course makes makes the play dough very hot, so use a mixing spoon or spatula until it cools enough to knead with hands. Then add the color with basic food coloring. Divide the play dough sections. I did 4 sections for 4 colors. I grabbed a pair of gloves and a cookie sheet so my hands and counter didn't stain. Make a little bowl out of the dough and drop the color in. Then mix & mix & mix. 
I used anywhere from 4-6 drops of coloring per section. 

What indoor or quiet activities keep your kids occupied? Spill! I'm going to need all the ideas I can get to McCall winters! #yikes 

2 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog, but have been too busy to stop and send a comment. I don't have any activity ideas, but earlier today I wasted a lot of time checking out baby names with this baby name generator. I thought you might have some fun with it.

    https://www.tinyprints.com/baby-name-generator.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever! Hope you're enjoying your new home!

      Delete