Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Weekend Shenanigans & Date Night

Alright, I'm a day late, but I thought I would post about our busy little weekend. I was dying to take Kess to the pumpkin patch, mostly because I have never actually "picked" my own pumpkin. I only wanted one tiny one for Kess, so we decided to head out to a small pumpkin patch. I'll be totally honest with you - picking your own pumpkin isn't all its cracked up to be. I was waiting for this magically perfect Instagram world of hot cocoa, wagon rides, lush green wines with perfectly shaped pumpkins on them... not so much. But, nonetheless we had a great time. My momma joined us, so we got to pick a few pumpkins for her porch & we found Kess a tiny, cute pumpkin. Kess actually seemed to enjoy herself despite having tripped over pumpkin vines a few times.






Matt had some work to finish up, so my mom, Kess and I went to lunch. We have officially reached the age where Kess really isn't all that pleasant to take out to eat. She gets pretty restless and needs entertained a lot and most things don't keep her attention for long. Then I turn into that mom that's offering her iPhone to her toddler... dang, did I just admit that? Words eaten. So we inhaled our food & got Kesser back home for nap time #favoritetimeoftheday (after bedtime, that is)

Later that afternoon once Kess woke up, Matt's mom came over to watch Kess so Matt & I could get a date night in. Matt and I actually suck at dating each other. We go out quite a bit, we have our great moms and some awesome babysitters, but we rarely go out just the two of us. This was a treat. We basically picked the cheapest date ever since we had a Cheesecake Factory gift card from last Christmas (see, not so good at the dating) and we had 2 movie tickets. We hadn't seen a movie since I was pregnant with Kess. We were pretty dang pumped. We even bought popcorn and a drink, because we had so much room left in our stomachs after demolishing our Cheesecake Factor food. This is why I have a "mom-bod" ;) We saw the Martian, which was fantastic. Totally recommend it! I laughed, I got teary-eyed and I had a nervous feeling in my tummy because ti was so suspenseful. Go see it. We also got stuck in traffic on our way home due to an accident, but it was kinda nice to sit quietly next to each other. It's funny how the little things can make a date night so wonderful.

I think it's so important to date your spouse. It's honestly really hard to do, especially when you have kids. It ends up being our savings grace. This week we had a bad case of the "reeeers" at our house. We were tired, worn down and grumpy. A night away was just what we needed. It is tricky to balance your "love life", when you're also building careers, homes and families, not the mention figuring out what to cook for dinner and remembering that you've got wet clothes in the washer (since yesterday)... marriage is a ton of work and I'll admit it's easy to let it fall by the way side, because you know you love your spouse, but it's even more important for them to know that you love them. It's easy for that message to get lost in translation. So, put in a little extra effort & go on a date. ;) What is your favorite date night activity? I want to know! 

Have a great week, friends!




0 comments:

Post a Comment