Friday, October 2, 2015

Friday Favorites: Teething

Kess got her first tooth at 6 months and I'm happy to say that our teething experience with her hasn't been awful... until now. Poor thing has 3 teeth cutting through right now, 2 of which are molars. Once these 3 teeth cut through she will have 10 teeth! She's a champ, but I can tell she's miserable. She's normally a phenomenal sleeper and this last week or so, our nights have been doozies. I actually took her in to her pediatrician because she was tugging at her ears, too. She's never had an ear infection, and her ears ended up looking just fine, so those darn teeth are giving her a run for her money. 

Here are a few things that work for us as far as teething goes. We use a lot of essential oils - we are firm believers in using both modern and alternative medicine, so both get used in our home. 

White Fir: I rub a little bit of this on Kess' gums; wherever her new tooth is cutting through. This numbs her gums a little and does a great job and easing her pain. She will even open her mouth now, whenever I grab the bottle and rub a little on my finger. I figured that was a good sign :)

Clove: When I can tell that she's in so much pain that White Fir isn't cutting it anymore, I dilute (heavily) clove into Fractionated Coconut Oil (FCO). (1T FCO:2-3drops clove.) Clove is great for numbing the gums. Kess woke up in the middle of the night just bawling, and I knew it was her poor gums, so I rubbed her gums with diluted clove and she conked back out. 

Roman Chamomile/Lavender/FCO Blend: In a 10ml roller bottle -10 drops of Roman Chamomile, 10 drops of Lavender, then filled the rest of the way with FCO. I roll this onto her cheeks and massage into her jaw line, I also massage it on the bottoms of her feet, this helps calm her jaw pain and also helps her sleep. 

Hyland's Baby Teething Tablets: Kess eats these like candy. I actually have to hide them because if she sees the bottle, she points and asks for them. They dissolve really quickly and easy teething pain with 4 homeopathic ingredients. We get ours at Wal-Mart or Target. During rough teething days/nights, we use these as much as directed. 

During lunch or snack times Kess has frozen yogurt pops. I just bought some individual yogurt squeezes and froze them. I cut them in half and Kess loves them. I'm sure the cold helps ease her gum pain and they taste good, too! 

And, like I said before, we are firm believers in modern and alternative medicine, so we aren't above giving Kess' Acetaminophen* or Ibuprofen. We typically give these to her at night, because with essential oils, consistence is key, so they get applied often, but at night we want her to get the rest she needs to recover, so we do essential oils and a dose of medicine, as well.  

*I've done the research on Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen and feel comfortable with giving my child the occasional dose.*

What teething remedies do you use in your home? I would love to hear them! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment