Monday, August 31, 2015

Weekend Shenanigans & THE Green Smoothie

We just got back from a fun-filled weekend in McCall, Idaho. Actually the weather was a little blah, so it made it the perfect weekend to do nothing. We bummed around with friends, ate late breakfasts, read books, chased Kess (a lot) & stayed up too late watching TV. A lazy weekend in a beautiful place! 

We actually lived in McCall for a few months while Kess was teeny tiny. We moved there in September of last year and moved back home in March of this year. So Kess spent about 7 months of her life traveling back & forth from McCall to Nampa, so we could be with Daddy while he was working & we drove back to Nampa so Mommy could work. It was a wild ride, but we are oh so glad we did it. 

We obviously ate way too much junk while we were weekending. We have actually had some unhealthy food habits going on for a few weeks now between bring home that giant chocolate Costco cake, to birthday celebrations, to fair food, to weekend getaways... we have been bad. I'm pretty sure even Kess could use a juice cleanse at this point! ;) 


My favorite way to make sure I'm getting some good nutrients is to make a green smoothie. Now, there are a million different green smoothie recipes. I've tried quite a few and could never find one I actually liked, until this one. My sister got this recipe from a good friend, and loved it, so I gave it a try. So good. Kess even loves it, which is awesome because sometimes babies aren't the easiest of eaters, so this insures that she gets some good healthy food in that cute little belly of hers.


3/4 Cup Frozen Blueberries
3/4 Cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt (I use vanilla, because I hate plain)
1 frozen banana
a few handfuls of spinach
1 T of Chia Seeds 
1 Cup of Orange Juice.

I would have never thought to freeze the banana, but it helps keep the smoothie from going weirdly frothy. Bonus. 

It's super easy to "smoothie prep" with this smoothie. I slice up the bananas, place them in plastic bags, and put them in the freezer. They are easy to grab quickly and easy to blend because they are in smaller slices. I recently decided to be "pinteresty" & blend my spinach because it would go bad before I could use it all. I added some water and handfuls of spinach into my blender & blended until it was all liquefied
, poured it into an ice tray and froze it. After it was fully frozen I broke it up into pieces and put them in a plastic bag in my freezer, they are easy to throw into the blender.


I found Kess a few tiny tumblers to drink her smoothie from. She loves them, but the only tricky thing with tumblers is that she can pull the straw almost all the way out, they get caught at the bottom which is nice, but it still makes quite the mess. I grabbed a rubber band and wrapped it around the straw at point that hits under the tumbler top. Then she can't pull it out at all. It makes for a much easier clean up! :)

Do you have a favorite green smoothie recipe? I would love to give it a try!

Happy Monday, my friends! Have a great week! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment