Monday, March 16, 2015

Be BONA FIDE

I’m going to be completely honest with you – this post terrifies me. Actually, my whole blog terrifies me. Haha It’s all about stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things in order to find passion. But, it’s also about being honest with myself about who I am as a wife, mother, daughter, sister and person.
I never thought about myself as a person who needed praise. I am who I am and that was that. I played softball from the age of 5 to the age of 19 and loved it. But, something hit me hard in the middle of a summer softball game. I was pitching in this particular game and it wasn't going well to say the least… I looked to my coach for instruction, for help, for anything. He looked right at me and said “I can’t be your cheerleader.” I was a little taken aback; he had always praised me, guided me and gave me the courage I needed to throw a great game. “How rude!” I thought. I don’t need a cheerleader! I need you to tell me how good I’m doing… duh. Well the truth of the matter was that I wasn't throwing a good game by any stretch of the imagination. He didn't sugarcoat it and quite frankly it stung.
I think about this often as I’m doing various things even now. As a Cosmetologist, a wife, a mother, a friend – I try to be genuine, honest and loving.  I try to help people realize that they aren't going through things alone, and to help them know that I've been there. I’ll be completely honest with you, I love praise and recognition. I like when people think I’m a good wife, a great mother, and a loyal friend. I try hard to be all of those things, so a little pat on the back is always nice. Well, these types of things flood over into social media as well. I like Instagram likes, comments, followers. Who doesn't? We all want to be relatable and for people to think, “Oh good, I’m not the only one who feels, talks, acts, and thinks this way. She does, too.”  I want people to know that they aren't alone in their thoughts. Everyone goes through something, everyone deals with tough situations and circumstances.
Social media is the ultimate “sugar-coater.” It has a way of pointing out our flaws and making us feel inadequate. We’re not pretty enough, not skinny or fit enough, not dedicated enough, we’re not married, we have no kids, no great career path – you name it. If there is something you have low self- esteem about it’s as if Instagram can read your mind and has been waiting to flood your newsfeed with something glamorous from someone else’s “perfect life” just to kick you when you’re down.
I love the girls at Be Bona Fide for their “Let’s Get Real” movement. Social media can help you or hurt you – let’s make sure we are helping one another. Let’s uplift and encourage. Nobody is perfect. Not even the beautiful blogger with the perfect home, clothes and life (News flash – her white couch is going to be ruined when her new baby poops on it!). Everyone has something that brings them down, so I ask you to please post about it! I guarantee that your followers will relate!

*Thank you to Nicole & Laura for all that you do to help us realize that life isn’t perfect. We all have insecurities and we tend to keep them a secret for fear of being the only person who feels this way. In reality no one needs to be or should be alone in their struggles. Life is messy and crazy and it’s so dang beautiful – enjoy the bumpy ride! 

|| Check out the Be Bona∙Fide  site and blog for more info! You won't regret it! Don't forget to post your #bondafideconfessions #beautifulbonafide & tag @beautifuleffort & @bebonafide on Instagram!! ||

2 comments:

  1. Great post, and great T-shirt. I loved your last line about crazy, messy, bumpy, and beautiful. I'm going to be quoting you. It is hard (at least for me) to be completely honest with a blog post. I don't want my blog to appear like the perfect life, but when it comes to negative feelings or bad experiences, I hold back. I want my blog to be a record, but maybe I need a private blog for some things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! It's so hard to be completely honest! It really is! You talk about the perfect things and people think you're bragging. You talk about the not so perfect things and people think you're complaining! ;) It's hard to win with social media!

      Delete